Monday, 7 November 2011

Filters and floods

My first attempt at using a Diana camera was a bit ham-fisted.

That's my brother! With his super fancy digital SLR

I loaded the film wrong and probably over-exposed it too, though the colours in the pictures were beautiful. Good collage material. Here are some illustrations from the photos I salvaged. 

I cut some of the photographs up and arranged them in slide pockets. 

Then I scanned the pockets and messed around with them from there. 
I got the slide-pocket idea from a textiles project designed for A-level students. I think it's a really good way to generate a lot of imagery from one source. 

These house ones make me think of electrical storms....maybe the hurricane in 'The Wizard of Oz'. 
Or a real-life hurricane - maybe that's what it would feel like to have your home wrecked by bad weather, with bits of the house fragmented everywhere. 
I've been thinking about this a bit recently anyway - my Granddad's house was ruined by floods in Towyn in the 90's, and I've been writing about it for my MA project. 

No comments: